Rendang Cottage Pie (Recipe from Mama G, 2 Mamas and A Wok)
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4-6 Pax)
1 packet of 2MAAW 220g Rendang Rempah
500g Ground Beef
2 Red Onions, diced
1 Carrot, diced
1 basket Brown Mushrooms, sliced
300ml Coconut Milk
4 Kaffir Lime Leaves
4 tbsp Gula Melaka
800g Russet Potatoes
1 Cup Milk, room temperature
½ stick Butter
Pinch of Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Pinch of Nutmeg
For the Rendang mixture:
- Heat oil up in pan and sweat Onions on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add in carrots and cook till soft.
- Add in mushrooms and cook till soft.
- Add in ground Beef and fry for 3 minutes on high heat.
- Add in rendang paste, kaffir lime leaves, gula melaka, toasted coconut.
- Add in coconut milk.
- Continue to fry for another 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
For the Mashed Potato topping:
- Peel potatoes & steam until soft.
- (OR chop into quarters & put into a pot of water, bring it up to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender but not mushy.
- Once potatoes are ready, transfer to a bowl and mash mixing in the Butter and Milk.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius.
- Place Rendang mixture into a tray or oval casserole dish, making sure it is an even layer.
- Add Mash Potatoes over the rendang mixture.
- Bake uncovered for around 40 minutes.