Jackfruit Rendang Kueh Salat (Contributed by Lee Yee Lin and Nicole Tang)
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4-6 Pax)
1 packet of 2MAAW 220g Rendang Rempah
8 pc jackfruit (sliced)
120g freshly grated coconut
1 cup coconut milk
2 stalk lemon grass (Smashed)
3 clove garlic (chopped)
3 clove shallots (chopped)
1 cup vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tbsp rice flour
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp fresh ground white pepper
1 tsp soy sauce and
1 tsp fish sauce
Salt to taste
5 Kaffir lime leaves (shredded)
2 cup Glutinous Rice
120ml Coconut milk
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
INSTRUCTIONS (Part 1: For Rice)
- Pour boiling water into glutinous rice, stir well and let it soak for 1 hr or until the rice becomes translucent
- Wash away excess starch and place rice in a baking tin with pandan leaf
- Steam for 10mins
- Add coconut milk, sugar and salt to rice and mix evenly.
- Place rice in 2 bread loaf tin. Steam 10mins.
- Press firmly to expel any gas trapped in the rice before adding rendang.
INSTRUCTIONS (Part 2)
- Toast freshly grated coconut till dark brown but not burnt. Remove from heat, reserve 1 tbsp separately.
- Sauté lemongrass, garlic, ginger and shallot in 2 tbsp oil till fragrant.
- Add bay leaf and rendang paste and sauté for another 5mins or till fragrant.
- Add sliced jackfruit, toasted coconut and vegetable stock. Mix well and simmer for 10mins.
- Stir in coconut milk. Simmer for another 5mins.
- Add seasoning. Adjust and add more if necessary.
- Remove lemongrass. Stir in rice flour.
- Layer rendang on top of rice layer. Steam for 10mins.
- Remove and leave to cool.
- Allow to come to room temperature before cutting and serving.
- Sprinkle kaffir lime leaves and toasted coconut on top.